Sunday, December 24, 2006

Poice On My Back - The Clash (Sandinista!, 1980)

If you want to see your brother Mark pout, ask him what he thought of the Clash concert at the Kinsmen Fieldhouse in 1982. I'm not sure why he wasn't allowed to go with me and Brian, but I think missing this concerts may well be one of the great regrets of his adolescence. After The Sex Pistols, The Clash are the most famous band to emerge out of the British punk rock scene and have probably had the most enduring impact. They weren't just loud and aggressive, they were also political and had a real love of music that influenced both their own compositions and the choice of songs that they covered - including this song by Guyanese/UK musician/producer Eddy Grant. Predictably, I bought the t-shirt and wore it until it was threadbare. Remember, the whole point in purchasing the t-shirt was to commemorate your presence at the show - and then to have something to wear to future shows that would demonstrate your impeccable taste in music. I wish I knew where my Clash t-shirt was... I'd proudly wear it today if I could.

No comments: