Saturday, January 20, 2007

In Between Days - The Cure (Head on the Door, 1985)

This one I associate less with a specific event or person, than with period of transition of which The Cure - and bands like them - were a part. I gave myself a bit of a 'makeover' in 1983. Gave up the jean jacket, feathered hair and wispy moustache, in favour of a somewhat 'cleaner' look. New Wave was well underway; I was mid-way through High School; and realizing the headbanger look wasn't working for me, but lacking the nerve to be a punk, I chose a middle ground (not the last time). The 80's were all about the floppy (foppish) forelock, paisley shirts, cardigans, desert boots, and all kinds of self-absorbed nonsense. If you are interested in better understanding the sub-urban Prairie experience of that era, watch the two great and harrowing documentaries of the period: Fast Times at Ridgemont High and 16 Candles.

No comments: